Thursday, November 1, 2012

Interesting and entertaining interview with Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Can anyone make the topic of constitutional interpretation interesting, for non-lawyers?  The person I'd put near the top of the list is US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia who has written a 600 page book on the topic entitled, "Reading Law:  The Interpretation of Legal Texts".

Here's an interesting interview with him on the topic.  He's articulate, intelligence yet understandable, and witty.

A few years ago, I sent him a letter along with a book I was interested in him seeing.  I had heard him speak in person shortly before when he said he only read letters if there was money enclosed.  So I included $1 with a reminder of his statement.  He sent me back a letter with a witty sentence or two rejoinder coupled with a line in Latin.  His response fit my impression of him perfectly.

No comments: